Followers

Friday, November 9, 2012

Vancouver, B.C.


I’ll start with some advice: Befriend a Canadian.



People have always told me that Vancouver is a great city, and the past couple days I have been experiencing it for myself. It definitely has a cool vibe. It’s beautiful, easy to get around, and pretty clean. Seattle, I would say, has more character, but I’ve definitely seen more of Sea-town's nooks and crannies.

Yesterday morning Jeff gave me a bright and early ride to the train, and I had a lovely trip up the northern coast of Washington. Trains are great. When I arrived in Vancouver, I had to go through customs, and I felt a little bit accosted as I tried to explain Holden Village and how I knew my friend Jonathan, my Vancouver host. It sent me into a little downward spiral as I wandered the new landscape without friends, Canadian money, or knowing how to get around. For a few minutes, I was lonely. But then I remembered how beautiful the Earth is, and how intricate and complex cities are, and how things would work out if I just let them. I was immediately in a better mood, fascinated by the multitude of truly international faces and beautiful architecture. First things first, I needed some Canadian mullah. Around the next block, I spotted a bank, and the teller waved the $2 fee for my currency exchange, probably because I looked homeless with the beard and backpack and all. Oh, I found 20 bucks on the train: Bonus.

Next, I grabbed a slice of pizza and a beer, then went to the public library. I really love libraries. At PLU, the library was my daily hang zone, and sometimes I would just go to nap on the couches. As night fell, I needed to find a bus to the University of British Columbia, where I was to meet my friend, Jonathan, but I wasn't sure where to start. In the synchronicity, a man holding a coffee table approached me and asked if I was going to the University. No joke. He said he would walk me to the bus stop, which he did. Ask and ye shall receive.

I met Jonathan near his apartment in the northeast corner of the enormous campus, and he promptly fixed a delicious dinner and popped open a beer. Canadian hospitality. Just as dinner was ready, Jon’s friend Dustin showed up, unexpectedly, and we decided to hit the town. After picking up another friend, Daniel, the Canadians took me to a local bar, called “The Local,” and I ordered my first poutine. Poutine is a rich, French-Canadian dish consisting of French fries, gravy, and cheese curds. Oh my Dog. Why don’t we do that in the U.S.?



I woke up this morning (Friday the 9th) and Jonathan, a surprisingly good chef, made a variation of eggs benedict that he called “Eggs from Hell.” Bagels instead of English muffins and chorizo instead of Canadian bacon (ironic?). Really, my Vancouver trip has been a food adventure of sorts.

I’m extremely grateful to Jonathan, whom I told in August that I would visit after knowing him for only two weeks at Holden. He’s a pro at hosting, guaranteed five star rating. I also admire his recent life decision. He quit his respectable engineering job, which he hated for its extreme practicality without question, and is now going back to school to study sociology. This is a man who is embracing the synchronicity by following his passion, unafraid of the unknown. Think of all of the miserable people who are stuck in jobs that they hate because it’s comfortable and reliable. For shame. If you think you’re stuck, you’re not. Follow your heart and the universe will provide. People laugh when I tell them this, but it’s so evident if you actually follow through. Haters goanna hate.

We are the universe perceiving itself, and what we think in turn affects the universe. The laws of physics are changing, and this concept will soon be very common knowledge; it’s only a matter of time.

I walked around Stanley Park today in the north part of the city, and really saw the Autumn beauty of Vancouver. Here's a pic of the public library:


No comments:

Post a Comment