Followers

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

L.A. Traffic Maze, Life in the Desert

Entering the Desert
For this trip, I've only had San Luis Obispo as a final destination. I didn't know where I would head next, maybe back up the coast, maybe up through Arizona/Utah, or maybe further into the heartland of the U.S.. In an interesting turn of events, my route was directed to Palm Desert, CA, where I have been many times in my life for family vacations with my Mom's side of the family. My grandparents have owned a condo here since the late-80s, and all of my cousins and aunts and uncles would come stay at the Shadow Mountain Resort for many a Spring Break. What can I say, but I'm a lucky guy, and family is key. My mom decided to come meet me down here as she recovers from her surgery.
Palm Desert,  a rare place where you can find a club car on the street.  The demographic here is wealthy old white people and immigrant Mexican workers. Disparity much? Landscape and weather is wonderful.
I'm finding that my trip is more and more becoming a journey into my past. I've traveled through all the towns that I've lived in, and visited many of the buildings and houses that have been important to me. I've been able to reconnect with Holden, college, high school, and childhood friends and numerous family members. The trip has been a soul-searching one, even if it's not what I intended. Or is it? Why does one travel? Are we really just looking for something? Perhaps a part of yourself is still not satisfied, and searches, like Johnny Appleseed across the old West, for true love and the essence of being.

Today, I was nearly overcome with emotion by the sight of a sunset. I was watching two giraffes rub noses (we were at the zoo) and asking my mom about how your mind changes when you become a parent. The thought of all of these things combined was too beautiful for my human mind to bear. If a sunset cannot make you cry, what are you? Make yourself vulnerable to the universe.

I've heard it said a million times that Family and Friends are the key to happiness, but only now is it really making sense to me. I know it sounds cliche, but basic human experience can never get old. Love is eternally made new by our ceaselessly creating universe. Friends and Family will always be of upmost importance to human happiness. To all my family: I love you. To all my friends: I love you too. Anyone who is not family or friend: Come on, it's more fun.

That said, I want to address the strange phenomena of driving through L.A.. Now, the automobile has only been around for a hundred years, and we've grown up without thinking twice about going 80 mph in five lanes of oil-propelled-metal, passing a city of Earthbound Stars. Well, I gave it a second thought, and couldn't help but consider Holden Village, and how this was such a profoundly different experience than driving the golf-cart down main street.

Here are some photos from The Living Desert, a zoo about two miles from where I'm staying:

Digitally altered a bit, but I think they're some of the best shots I've ever taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment